Advertisement

Dyeing a wool suit

topic posted Mon, April 28, 2008 - 12:21 AM by  Drew
Share/Save/Bookmark
Hi. I am working on a play in Seattle, and am trying to modify the color of a wool suit. I have never tried to dye a wool, off-the-rack garment, and was hoping to get some tips. Does anyone have any relevant information?

Thanks so much
Drew
posted by:
Drew
Washington
Advertisement
  • Unsu...

Re: Dyeing a wool suit

Mon, April 28, 2008 - 4:54 AM
    You can dye the suit, but it will shrink up to 2 sizes. Parts of the suit might not dye; stitching, lining, etc. If there are stains on the suit, it will show in the dyed garment unless you go Black.

what are the questions.
    • Re: Dyeing a wool suit

Mon, April 28, 2008 - 6:06 AM
      I am dyeing it black, so the stains shouldnt be a problem. The questions I still have are:

1). What dye do you recommend?
      2). How will it look after the dyeing? (it will shrink, but will it be lumpy/felt-like?)
      3). Should I use hot or warm water?

THanks
      Drew
      • Unsu...

Mon, April 28, 2008 - 8:48 AM
        Wool is very touchy.

I would take rit dye, do the stove top instructions, boil it WITHOUT putting your garment in, and then turn off the burner and put suit in. Leave suit for a day.
        Pull out, rinse, DON'T dump dye water. See how much the dye took. If you have some little spots, put back in the dye water.
        (Recipe for making black rit dye stick to anything, polyester acetate, anything)

And the lukewarm to cold water should keep it from shrinking too badly. Note: depending on what your lining is made out of, if you don't rinse thoroughly enough, you will get black blotches on your shirt when you sweat. And don't wash it regularly. Use club soda to remove individual stains.
        • Unsu...

Mon, April 28, 2008 - 8:58 AM
          sorry but I wouldn't leave the suit for a day, best to stir and keep it moving.
          and rit doesn't dye polyester well.
      • Unsu...

Mon, April 28, 2008 - 8:57 AM
        Acid dyes is best for Wool. see my directions for dyeing in the dyeing tips tricks post on this tribe....it's there.
        you'll need some acetic acid, vinegar or citric acid.
        line dry after you dye.
        never get the dye bath to boiling. start with lukewarm water, (u must pre-wash and wet before you start dyeing) gradually raise the heat,
        it will get more felt-like. YOu can take it to a dry cleaner to press out.

Recent topics in "Reconstructed Clothing"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Dyeing tips and tricks Unsubscribed 225 August 21, 2014
younger women looking for older men Unsubscribed 0 April 2, 2014
Online dating site for singles & bikers sandy 0 April 2, 2013
de-pill your clothing ideas? dr mork 0 March 23, 2013