Advertisement

How can I soften a cotton garment?

topic posted Thu, August 31, 2006 - 8:09 PM by  Unsubscribed
Share/Save/Bookmark
I have an inexpensive cotton kimono purchased from San Francisco's Chinatown. I've washed and dried it three times and it's just not softening up. There's gotta be some prodcut that can be added in the washing or dryer machines' cycles to QUICKLY soften cotton. I'd like to wear this garment on Labor Day. Help??
posted by:
Unsubscribed
Advertisement
  • Re: How can I soften a cotton garment?

Thu, August 31, 2006 - 10:58 PM
    Fill a bucket with water and mix some liquid fabric softener into the water. Then soak the fabric in it overnight. Rinse the fabric (or wash it if you want) and dry. I used to use this technique years ago on brand new jeans which were stiff and it worked really well to soften them quickly....

Cheers,
    Mark
    • Unsu...

Re: How can I soften a cotton garment?

Sat, September 2, 2006 - 1:52 PM
      OMG! Thank you so much. I'll try that! I've stumped everyone else I've asked including reps at fabric stores and quilting providers.
      • Re: How can I soften a cotton garment?

Sat, September 2, 2006 - 4:07 PM
        Please let us know your results. Mine were fantastic using this method...it was one of those spontaneous "thoughts" that somehow just came to me when I was trying to figure out how to quickly soften my new, stiff jeans...

Mark
        • Unsu...

Re: How can I soften a cotton garment?

Tue, September 5, 2006 - 10:07 AM
          Ah--you read my mind. I actually soaked it two days because this inexpensive fabric was sooooo stiff. The fabric softener soak made it a bit better. However, all I had on hand was 7th Generation natural lavender. I used one capful of the softener and just enough water to cover the fabric. I'm going to purchase my old favorite, original Downy, and try it again; I'll report that result as well. What brand did you use?

Recent topics in "Reconstructed Clothing"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Dyeing tips and tricks Unsubscribed 223 July 14, 2014
younger women looking for older men serena 0 April 2, 2014
Online dating site for singles & bikers sandy 0 April 2, 2013
de-pill your clothing ideas? dr mork 0 March 23, 2013